One of the aims of this blog is to describe those moments when happiness breaks down – its the hiccup along the way. Not to say that we going to change our focus, but we do have a sense of humor.
The following is a statement of a great conspiracy – but instead of some attempt to bring us this time we are talking about the opposite of paranoia, “the belief that others are conspiring behind your back to help you” – proanonis “the idea that the universe is a conspiracy on your behalf”. What an idea –
PRONOIA: STARTING THE YEAR WITH THESE 13 STEPS
- You have license to complain and whine about anything and everything in an intense 15-minute orgy of bitching. Having spewed all your venom in one neat ritual exorcism, you’ll perhaps be free to enjoy sweet moods and broad-minded visions for a while.
- You locate or create a symbol of your own pain. Mail it to any you want to know you are ending your dependence on their approval.
You then conduct a sacred ritual of purification during which time you will burn that symbol to ash. While this may not banish your suffering entirely, I’m confident it will provide a substantial amelioration which you will be able to feel the benefits of within a month.
- You eat a pinch of dirt and an edible flower petal while affirming that you are ready to kill off one of your outworn shticks — some idea or formula that has worked for you in the past but has now become a parody of itself.
- Using crayons, paints, scissors, glue, collage materials or any other materials, you create a piece of large-denomination paper money, good for making a payment on your karmic debt.
- You kick your own ass 22 times.
- You take the Smart Optimists’ Personality Test, designed to reprogram you to ask questions that increase your Pronoia Quotient (PQ).
- You brag about yourself nonstop for ten minutes. Record it so you can listen back to it later.
- You perform a senseless act of altruism, for instance by giving an anonymous gift or providing some beauty or healing to a person who cannot do you any favors in return.
- You deliver a concentrated stream of praise about someone, either to that person herself or to anyone who will listen. Extra credit: You force yourself to think a kind and loving thought about someone you don’t like or feel alienated from.
- You build an altar devoted to beauty, truth, and love in one of the ugliest places you know.
- You watch a blank TV while making up a pronoiac story featuring plot twists that are rife with happiness, redemption, and good times — yet not boring. You may either speak this tale aloud or write it down.
- You perform a ceremony in which you get married to yourself.
- While making love, you periodically imagine that your physical pleasure is a carrier wave for a spiritual blessing which you beam in the direction of some particular person
First, I have to acknowledge that I borrowed this piece unfortunately I don’t remember where. The other thing I that is important about this is it counter to how I feel right this minute. So in writing this I am taking a stand for how I want to see the world. How are you seeing the world? Maybe we can change our views together.